November 04, 2004

A Little Speck of Light

Occasion: Tina and I were married on September 30, 1988. Two weeks later I was sent to Germany by Uncle Sam. She didn't arrive until mid December. During the three months we were apart I experienced a new kind of lonliness. I concieved this poem walking through the German country side near Achsheim, Germany. As is still the case, she was all I could think about.

Proverbs 5:18, "May you rejoice in the wife of your youth."

The sky was clear as crystal,
The air was cold as ice,
My breath seemed thick as cotton,
That lovely autumn night.

I had no destination,
As I walked on through the night,
Then I saw it blink beside me,
A little speck of light.

We seemed to see each other,
As we gazed from afar,
And nothing else existed,
Just me and that little star.

Oh, there were many others,
But none that shone as bright,
And I knew I loved that star, although
Twas just a speck of light.

And while we stood there staring,
Wouldn’t you just know
That little speck of twinkling light,
Began to grow and grow.

While my heart raced with excitement,
My mind was whirling fast,
And I stood and reached toward it,
To touch my star at last.

Then suddenly it disappeared,
As I opened up one eye,
And I found that I’d been dreaming,
And it made me want to cry.

But then I noticed something,
That I’ve longed for all my life,
On my desk stood a little picture,
Of my dearest, darling wife.

And in that little picture
Was a very wondrous sight,
For in my Tina’s big blue eyes,
Was that little speck of light.

I wrote this poem to tell you,
That no matter where you are,
Tina I’ll love you forever,
And you’ll always be my star.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the most beautiful poems I've ever read...awesome.